5 Best Day Trips in Belize
Whether you’re just visiting Belize for a few days or weeks or whether you’ve come to stay, you’ll discover that there are so many things to do once you are in the country that it can be difficult to choose. If you’ve come to live in Belize, you have the opportunity to try many more of the great day trips and activities on the roster, but if you’re only here for a few days, you will have to pick and choose. Here are five of the best day trips in Belize:
1. Get to know the animals at the zoo. Belize has one of the best zoos in the world. Instead of the tiny concrete cages that many Western zoos employ, this zoo endeavors to replicate the animals’ natural habitats. All of the exhibits house animals that were either rescued or were born in captivity and could not be released back into the wild. From jaguars to howler monkeys to iguanas, adults and children alike will love trying to spot these beautiful creatures in the wilderness.
2. Explore ancient Mayan ruins at Xunantunich. This is one of the most historically significant and beautiful ruins in Belize. Named after the “stone woman” ghost who is believed to haunt these ruins, the stone temple is surrounded by thick, green jungle. It rises out of the trees and provides an incredible view of the jungle. Historians think that the temple was once used for rituals by some of the most important citizens of the Mayan civilization.
3. Take a canoe or a tube through Barton Creek Cave. If you’re looking for a day trip that will be reprieve from the jungle heat, this is it. Either settle into a canoe or an inter-tube, and paddle your way through this beautiful cave system. Most people choose to wear a headlamp, as this helps them see the structures and the glittering of the stones inside the cave.
4. Grab a zip line. If you’re new to Belize, this is one of the best ways to get a whirlwind tour of the wilderness. There are lots of platforms throughout the jungle and it’s perfectly safe for adults and children alike.
5. ATV through the caves and jungle. This is by far the favorite way to tour the jungle and the extensive Mayan cave system near Belize City. All you have to do is strap on a helmet and you are good to go!